Monday, November 22, 2010

Incisioni Di Modena

It's been a while since I listened back to these recordings I made in '99 at Giorgio Buttazzo's studio in Modena, Italy. Giorgio plays a mean guitar in The Bermuda Acoustic Trio, an incredible cover band that has toured Italy constantly since before I met them. I was living in Bologna when I wrote the songs, listening to a lot of Fabrizio De Andre, Francesco Guccini, Lucio Dalla, and Lucio Battisti. Here are the recordings with translations underneath.

SOTTO LA LUNA

The sun threw its light on me
but I could think only of you
I saw a smile in your eyes
but my thoughts were regrettably few

I have to tell you that ever since the first time
Under the moon our souls were burning
When I touch you I feel almost empty
And everything else slowly disappears

I walked alone on the clouds
Looking for the sky below me
Instead I found the profound truth
It was blown in the wind
Followed closely by the lie

I have to tell you that ever since the first time
Under the moon our souls were screaming
When I touch you I feel almost empty
And everything else slowly disappears

I was descending, flying, never shedding a tear
I was falling, singing, my voice strong as ever
When at last I landed I saw you
You need not ask, you already know the answer

I have to tell you that ever since the first time
Under the moon our souls were glowing
When I touch you I feel almost empty
And everything else slowly disappears

SE VIENI CON ME

Come with me
the world isn't watching
Tell me who you are
but don't come out from the shadow
Don't be afraid of me
even if you can't see me
Let the world go
until you don't do only what it tells you

CHORUS
You'll feel me in the wind
I'll touch your hand
Don't lose yourself staring at the thought
You'll understand the feeling
I'll hold your body
If you come with me

CHORUS

When you leave me in the morning I don't follow
I wait for you to return but you go
I wait, but you don't look back
You're looking for a place you'll never find
But if you find it

CHORUS

You still don't know if you'll lose
the memory that I gave you
Maybe when you think of it you'll see me
Maybe when you see me you won't want me
You're afraid you won't dream when you sleep
and if you don't dream

CHORUS

LA VOCE

I tried to acknowledge the voice that was calling me
I wished that it would sing, but all it did was ask me
What do you want from life? Do you believe in god?
Don't you know that love only hurts your heart?

I smiled and said
It would take too many hours
to understand my thoughts
when I make love
I look toward the sky and sing the song
of the lover whose heart does not ache

CHORUS
The voice is mistaken
it does not speak my truth
It will never understand my reality
It has closed its mind and will not open it

I followed the words as they grew
Unsure of what they meant
It explained the song but did not sing it
I long for silence

The night was listening in and could not understand
Why the voice was speaking aimlessly
I explained that it was trying to get inside me
and that it was unable to

CHORUS

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home