Tuesday, February 12, 2008

super bowl parade

Last week I headed down to City Hall to see if I could get in on the Giants' Super Bowl parade. It was madness downtown. The city had lost its mind over its team's unlikely championship and there were more people out in the streets than I've ever seen in my life. It wasn't until the parade had ended and the speeches were wrapping up that I finally got close enough to see what was going on.

I was standing at a fence looking at the side of City Hall as the players walked back to the buses. From where I was standing it was hard to make out who was who as the players passed by about two hundred feet away. My recorder was running when this woman stopped next to me, grabbed hold of the fence and shouted, "OH MY GOD!!!! WHO IS THAT? WHO IS THAT?" When the man next to her said he thought it was Kareem McKenzie (Giants tackle), she responded, "WHAT?!?!?! I LOVE YOU...and my mother...and god...I love them, too." Her enthusiasm was not directed anywhere in particular other than the general direction of the team. How sane or sober she was I can't say, but at one point she laughs at herself as if acknowledging the absurdity of her excited outbursts.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO MY CONVERSATION WITH THIS WOMAN AFTER THE SUPER BOWL PARADE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home